A sahm's adventures in crafting, gardening, hiking, and trying to raise boys who can think.

Monday, February 04, 2008

Illusion crochet square

So I joined a book club group on Ravelry. I sometimes miss being in a book club--but I don't miss the one annoying person every book club has, I don't miss conflicts with other meetings. And within the meetings. And being as it seems I'm already out of the house 2 nights a week, I don't need another meeting. So an online discussion group is kind of cool. No meetings to attend or miss. Reading messages whenever I want. Nice. 

The fun part of this particular book group is a mini-contest at the end for the best original 8x8 knit/crochet square based on the book. Fun! And 8x8 is just one evening's work.

So I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Great book. And I spent the whole book thinking about a square. Which I completed last night and posted there today. Without too much in the way of spoilers, since so much of the book is about hiding things (Liesel's learning to read, thefts, Max), I opted for Illusion Crochet (my first attempt--it involved lots of ripping). It's in black and white, which is meant to be the accordion keys, but can also stand for black letters on white paper. Here it is:

And here's the illusion:

Ta-da! A bit lopsided due to a wee miscount, but I was done with ripping.

The next book is The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Which I am not enjoying yet. The writing style is way to contrived for me. We'll see.

3 comments:

Mishon said...

Love the illusion block. Would you please share the directions to the heart block? I've been trying to figure out how to do illusion crochet but can't find directions anywhere. Thanks.

Dree said...

The tutorial I used is posted on craftster here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=219556.0

You may need to copy and paste that to get it to work, and you may need to log in to craftster (I think it's still free?).

I need to futz a little more to get more of the illusion.

Mishon said...

Thanks! I found it and will try it this weekend.